Saumen Majumdar completed graduation (BSc) in Economics with Physics and Mathematics as allied subjects from Calcutta University and also Masters (MSc) in Economics with specialisation in Econometrics.Completed Post Graduate Diploma in Development Policy (MPhil) as well as Doctoral dissertation from Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR, Mumbai). He has widely published in peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Quantitative Economics, Journal of Forecasting, IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, etc.
Saumen Majumdar joined the Indian Institute of Management at Ahmedabad as Assistant Professor and taught courses in economics and energy both at post-graduate and doctoral level. Later joined GE Capital International Services, and was member of the team to rebuild existing credit scorecards. He was then associated with Centre for Infrastructure and Regulation at National Council of Applied Economic Research as Senior Economist, and worked on various infrastructure issues such as fixing fares for the proposed Bangalore and Hyderabad metros, proposing concessions for road tolls on National Highways, delineating infrastructure policies for the newly formed state of Chhattisgarh, outlining framework for design of electric markets in India, devising energy policies for India in the context of peak oil and outlining public policies for enhancing rural housing in India.
During his stay in this institute, he has taught all the core courses in the Economics Area (Microeconomics, Macroeconomics in the Global Context and Indian Economy) and an elective course on Econometrics.
- Saumen Majumdar and D.Chattopadhyay. 2011. Debt Crunch: What Does It Mean for Baseload Investment, Emissions and Prices? The Electricity Journal 24(8):29-40. doi:10.1016/j.tej.2011.09.001
- Saumen Majumdar and D.Chattopadhyay. 1999. A model for integrated analysis of generation expansion and financial planning. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 14(2):466-471. DOI:10.1109/59.761867
- D.Ghosh, S.Majumdar and P.R.Shukla. 1998. Demand Side Management at Ahmedabad Electricity Company. Energy Management 2(2):1-10.
- Saumen Majumdar and P.R.Shukla. 1997. Electric load forecasting using artificial neural network and deficit management. Energy Sources 19(8):771-782. DOI: 10.1080/00908319708908889
- Saumen Majumdar, R.Sridhar and Jyoti K.Parikh. 1997. Marginal cost of electricity: Probabilistic formulation. Energy Sources 19(6):537-548. DOI:10.1080/00908319708908870
- Saumen Majumdar, R.Sridhar and Jyoti K.Parikh. 1997. Inter-utility electricity pricing for optimum capacity utilization in the power sector. Energy Sources 19(5):451-460.DOI: 10.1080/00908319708908864
- Saumen Majumdar, D.Chattopadhyay and Jyoti K.Parikh. May 1996. Interruptible load management using optimal power flow analysis. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 11(2):715-720. DOI: 10.1109/59.496144
- Saumen Majumdar and D.Chattopadhyay. 1996. Impact of oil price shock on carbon emissions in India: An econometric analysis Energy Sources 18(6):711-726. DOI:10.1080/00908319608908802.
- Saumen Majumdar and Jyoti K.Parikh, 1996. Energy forecasts with investment constraints, Journal of Forecasting 15(6):459-476. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-131X(199611)15:6<459::AID-FOR633>3.0.CO;2-C
- Saumen Majumdar and Jyoti K.Parikh. July 1995. Macroeconomic consistency in energy planning: A case study of India. Journal of Quantitative Economics 11(2):95-122.
- R.Krishnan, Kunal Sen and Saumen Majumdar. January 1992. Unit roots in Indian macro time series: Tests and implications. Journal of Quantitative Economics 8(1):67-82.
- Saumen Majumdar. 2008. peak oil hypothesis and implications to India. macroTRACK 10(5). NCAER.
- R.Basant and Saumen Majumdar. 1997. Trade regimes and productivity: Exploring the impact of tariff policy on firm level technology strategies. Working paper No.1418. Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Management. http://vslir.iimahd.ernet.in:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/1892 or http://vslopac.iimahd.ernet.in/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=71513
- Saumen Majumdar. 2006. India’s Electricity Reforms in Global Context: The Design of a Competitive Electricity Market. NCAER projects working paper No. I035/ 02. http://vslopac.iimahd.ernet.in/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?biblionumber=57726
- S.Majumdar and J.K.Parikh. 1999. Macroeconomic consistency in energy planning. In Manabendu Chattopadhyay, Pradip Maiti and Mihir Rakshit, eds., Essays on public intervention, institutional arrangement and economic efficiency. Calcutta: K.P.Bagchi & Co, 101-130.
- G.Raghuram and S.Majumdar. 1999. Infrastructure management and implication on logistics. In Profs G.Raghuram et al eds., Infrastructure Development and Financing. New Delhi: Macmillan India Ltd., 33-48.
- Rahul Pandey, Saumen Majumdar and P.R.Shukla. 1997. Operational planning for peak electricity problem: Modelling and Policy analysis in P.R.Shukla (Ed.) Energy Strategies and Greenhouse Gas Mitigation. New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited, 141-171.
- Saumen Majumdar and Jyoti Parikh. 1997. Macroeconomically consistent energy scenarios for India. In Jyoti Parikh ed., Energy Models for 2000 and Beyond. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, 24-74.
- Saumen Majumdar, Kankar Bhattacharya, Kirit S.Parikh and Jyoti K.Parikh. 1995. Infrastructure: Accelerating Demand and Privatisation. In Prof.Kirit S.Parikh (Ed.) Mid-Year Review of the Economy 1994-1995 New Delhi: Konark Publishers Limited, 156-187.
- Majumdar , saumen (2006). Design of Competitive Electricity Market for India. XIV National Power Systems conference, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee.
- Saumen Majumdar. 2010. International crude oil price in the context of peak oil and possible recourses of India. New Delhi: Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and NCAER.
- Saumen Majumdar. 2007. A Study on Rural Housing in India: Challenges and Opportunities. Project report. New Delhi: NCAER and Holcim Ltd.
- Saumen Majumdar, et al. 2004. Study on rebate (“concessions”) in fees (“tolls”) on National Highways. Project report. New Delhi: National Highways Authority of India and NCAER.
- Saumen Majumdar. 2003. Fare structure design for the proposed Bangalore and Hyderabad metro system. Mimeo. New Delhi: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and NCAER.
- S.Majumdar, P.Maxwell and B.Hansman 2001. Dealer management and acquisition targeting tool. Mimeo. Ohio, USA: GE Card Services.
- S.Majumdar, S.Ojha, S.Dash, P.Bowers, K.Taylor and J.Barhorst. 2001. A and J credit scorecard re-development Process: Methodology and models. Ohio, USA: GE Card Services.