Karthik Dhandapani is an Associate Professor in the Strategy Area. He completed his bachelors in Commerce from Hansraj College, University of Delhi; doctorate in Economics from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (Fellow Programme in Management). He is also an associate member of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India.
He was earlier teaching at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Prior to joining academics, he worked in the area of analytics and business intelligence for Fidelity, one of the largest mutual fund and financial services group in the world.
He integrates analytics and the emerging field of visualization for crafting and communicating strategic decisions. He uses technology blended learning, simulations and experiential exercises to convey complex concepts and frameworks in the classroom.
His research interest areas are diversification, internationalization, institutional transitions, business groups and clusters. He uses large data sources, to make novel theoretical contributions. He has presented his research in international conferences organized by prestigious bodies such as Academy of Management, Academy of International Business and Strategic Management Society. He has published papers in leading international journals such as Industry and Innovation, International Journal of Emerging Markets and in an edited volume published by Oxford University Press.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Karthik D, Upadhyayula R S and Karna A. (2015). Why do Firms Locate Across Multiple Clusters? Cluster Density, Capabilities and Ethnic Ties Industry and Innovation, 22 (4). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13662716.2015.1035958
- Karthik D, & Upadhyayula R S (2015). Two paths to diversification: performance implications of related diversification across two dimensions in professional service firms. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 10 (1). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJOEM-05-2012-0048
- Upadhyayula R, Karthik D & Karna A (2014). What Drives Emerging Multinationals? Internationalization and Performance Drivers of Indian IT Firms. In Banerjee (Eds.) Emerging Issues in Management. New Delhi: Emerald India.
- Bala B, Barua S and Karthik D (Forthcoming). Executive Compensation in India: An Empirical Investigation. In Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (Eds.) Oxford University Press.
- Karthik D, Upadhyayula R and Basant R 2015, “Strategic Paths of Born Globals: A Study of Indian IT firms”, Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, Bangalore June 26-30, 2015
- Bala B, Barua S and Karthik D 2015, “Influence of Board Independence and Type of Concentrated Ownership on CEO Compensation in India”, Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, Bangalore June 26-30, 2015
- Karthik D, Upadhyayula R and Karna A 2014, “Why do Firms Locate across Multiple Clusters? Cluster Density, Capabilities and Ethnic Ties?”, 2nd Pan IIM World Management Conference, IIM Kozhikode, November 5-8, 2014
- Karthik D and Basant R 2014, “Measuring Institutional Relatedness”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, August 1-5, 2014
- Bala B, Barua S and Karthik D 2013, “CEO Compensation, Strategy and Governance: The Indian Experience 2008-2012”, Strategic Management Society Special Conference, Mohali, December 17-19, 2013
- Upadhyayula R, Karthik D and Karna A 2013, “Drivers of Internationalization of Emerging Multinationals: A Study of Indian IT firms”, Strategic Management Society Special Conference, Mohali, December 17-19, 2013
- Upadhyayula R, Karthik D and Karna A 2013, “What drives Emerging Multinationals? Internationalization and Performance Drivers of Indian IT firms”, Pan IIM World Management Conference, Goa, May 30-June 1, 2013
- Karthik D, Karna A and Upadhyayula R 2013, “What drives Emerging Multinationals? Internationalization and Performance Drivers of Indian IT firms”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, August 10-13, 2013. (Included in the conference Proceedings doi:10.5465/AMBPP.2013.12648abstract).
- Bala B, Barua S and Karthik D 2013 “Corporate Governance Issues in Executive Compensation: The Indian Experience”, IIMB Corporate Governance Round Table, Bangalore, January 2013
- Karna A, Upadhyayula R and Karthik D 2012, “Ethnic Ties vs. Agglomeration Density: Demystifying Multi-cluster Location Choices of Emerging MNCs", Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, August 3-7 2012
- Karthik D, Upadhyayula R and Karna A 2012, “Connected with Roots, or Attracted to Competition? Strategic Drivers of Emerging MNC Location Choices”, Strategic Management Society (SMS) Special Conference, Singapore, June 7-9, 2012
- Upadhyayula R and Karthik D 2011, "Performance Implications of Diversification in Professional Service Firms: The Role of Synergies", Strategic Management Society Research Workshop on Emerging India: Strategy, Innovation and Sustainability, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, February 26-28, 2011.
- Kodandaram H, Chetan M and Karthik D 2011, “Application of Propensity Scoring for Establishing Causality in the Area of Direct Marketing”, IIMA International Conference on Advanced Data Analysis, Business Analytics and Intelligence, Ahmedabad January 8-9, 2011
AWARD AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- Paper titled “Locating across multiple clusters: Ethnic ties, Agglomeration density, Capabilities” received a “Highly Commendable Research Paper” award at the 2nd PAN IIM World Management Conference held at Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode.
- Paper titled “Internationalization and Performance of Emerging Multinationals: The role of Clustering and Certification" was nominated for “That’s Interesting award” by Aalto University Business School (one of the six nominations) during Academy of International Business annual meeting in Turkey, 2014
- Proposal titled “Connected with Roots, or Attracted to Competition? Strategic Drivers of Emerging MNC Location Choices” was selected as one of the 10 finalists out of 94 papers in Strategic Management Society Special Conference Singapore Best Paper Prize.
- URL: http://cases.iimahd.ernet.in/index.php/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?authors=Karthik,%20D#
- Basant, R and Karthik D, "Accuflow Commercialization", IIM Ahmedabad Case #CIIE05
- Karthik D, Upadhyayula R, "NASSCOM: Is it time to retrospect and reinvent", IIM Ahmedabad Case #BP0368
- Dixit, M.R., Karthik D., "Proctor & Gamble v/s Colgate - 2003: An Exercise in Competitive Dynamics", IIM Ahmedabad Case # BP0362
- Karthik D. and Dixit, M.R., “Starbucks – 2007”, IIM Ahmedabad Case # BP0389.